STATE- Faculty Development Certificate
Success Through Advancing Teaching Excellence (STATE)
STATE is a four week summer teaching institute for faculty. It is designed to improve teaching effectiveness by supporting development in the areas of access and responsive pedagogy. Participants in STATE will develop:
- advanced understanding of conditions that create learning balance.
- familiarity with research-based practices designed to support all learners.
- careful construction of course materials that illustrate instructor dedication to access and responsive pedagogy.
Participants in STATE will earn a stipend of $1200 provided by the Office of the Provost.
Training is conducted in hybrid format, meaning faculty participants will attend 4 in-person workshop days and complete additional work in iCollege, including course material redesign, readings, and discussions. STATE runs from July 11th-August 4th. Participants should plan to spend approximately 10 hours per week working on program materials. This includes 4 in-person development sessions held on Tuesdays from 9:30-3:30 in Classroom South 226.
Requirements to apply:
- Must be a Full-Time Faculty Member
- Must attend all four 6-hour workshop days
- Must be teaching a course you can adapt for Fall 2023
- Must have chair approval (letter of support)
- Must submit a reflection on student response to course adaptations by the beginning of spring 2024 and complete survey
Open to all Full-Time Faculty
Apply for STATE
Applications to STATE are due by May 19. Faculty MUST submit a letter of support from their chair with their application.
Direct Questions to Laura Carruth or Jennifer Hall [email protected] and [email protected]
STATE Certificate (July 11-August 4 2023)
In-person workshops Tuesdays from 9:30-3:30 (July 11th, July 18th, July 25th, and August 1st) in Classroom South 226.
Week 1: Know your students–know their needs
Week 2: Responsive Pedagogical Practices
Week 3: Creating an Inclusive Course
Week 4: Adopt STATE strategies
Click here to view tentative weekly agenda
GSU STATE Certificates are used to document your training in your annual report and in your course descriptions.