Announcements – Listen and Be Aware
Inside iCollege you have announcements on your general iCollege home page showing university wide information, as well as announcements in your courses which your instructors can use to make you aware of important course news.
You can adjust your announcement notification settings to ensure you stay on top of notices even without being logged in. Additionally, you can utilize the pulse app to check in on announcements from your mobile device.
Regardless of whether you’re talking about instructors or classmates, listening to and communicating regarding contact preferences will help facilitate smoother lines of communication.
- Use the syllabus to identify your instructors’ preferences for communications (iCollege mail vs PantherMail), as well as their office hours (in-person or virtual).
- If you have plans to talk with a classmate outside of class, first touch base about how you each communicate best. For instance, which email they prefer for class work, are they comfortable talking on the phone, does meeting online work for them, etc.
- For group projects determine what way will work best for collaborating on your assignment (ex. sharing files over office 365), and what is the best method for meeting outside of class (in-person, virtually, or a mix), that works best for everyone’s schedules and technology.
Note: if someone expresses concerns or is uncomfortable regarding a particular communication mode, be respectful of that. There could be many reasons why that mode doesn’t work for them.
Virtual Course Discussions
The discussion tool in iCollege found under the Assessment menu is a valuable tool for virtual class discussions and sharing ideas throughout the course. Here are some tips for thoughtful participation in iCollege discussions:
- Start your discussion post(s) early.
- Check back frequently for new posts/comments.
- Actively respond and interact with your classmates.
For more information on your communication tools look to the iCollege & Learning Tools page under the communication section.
Communicating Professionally - Linkedin Learning
LinkedIn Learning is a great resource with a VAST library of courses and videos to help with a variety of professional activities, such as writing emails.
Example Courses to Consider: